Saturday 7 January 2012

Back on the bike (Hannah)

It's three weeks since I twisted my ankle and I'm still not able to run - I think I probably tore something and running the final 11 miles of the marathon on it wasn't very sensible.  But experience has taught me that I mustn't rush back into training or it'll be a problem that drags on for months.

So, other than a few walks, I spent the Christmas period resting.  And I think my body needed it - once it had realised it was time to rest I found myself sleeping a huge amount each night.  It's been a shock heading back to work this week but I do feel a lot better.

But the problem with catching up with myself and doing minimal exercise is that I've not been sleeping particulary well over the last few days.  Definitely time to start tiring myself out again!  So, I'm back on my turbo trainer, doing lengthy endurance sessions in the hope that these will help my running.  And I'm also walking lots.  I followed this approach last year when I had calf problems - but I'd definitely prefer to be outside running rather than inside on a turbo!

I've also been doing lots of balance work - to get the nerves etc firing properly again and to build up all the small stabilising muscles.  So I'm spending lots of time standing on one leg, doing one legged squats, balancing on the bosu, lunges, ...  I've been doing lots of googling on ankle strengthening and I found one article that suggested that, if you can't stand on one leg for 30 seconds with your eyes closed, then this indicates that your risk of going over on your ankle is increased.  So I've figured that I need to get to a place where I can stand on one leg for a lot longer than that!

Things are definitely improving so hopefully I'll be back running in the next week or so...  And definitely continuing with all the strengthening exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment