Wednesday 3 July 2013

The importance of sleeping

A big learning (or re-learning!) in the last week has been the importance of sleep. Saturday morning, feeling super-motivated and confident after my trip to the Alps with the Trail Running Team, I headed off on a tough 40 mile-ish run. About 10 miles in the wheels well and truly fell off! My nutrition was ok and  my legs didn't feel too fatigued (surprisingly) but all I wanted to do was curl up on a ball and go to sleep.

If I get less than 8 hours sleep a night then I start to struggle and it won't be long before I pick up a bug. When I'm training hard then I ideally need more than this, at the very least at weekends when I can also sneak in an afternoon nap or two.

In the Alps I was getting well short of 8 hours a night and it's really hit me since getting home. I was straight back to work (5.30 starts and long commute) and various things made for late nights.

So I hit the weekend and I was absolutely shattered. Friday night I got 10 hours of unbroken sleep but this  obviously wasn't enough recovery. Sunday's run went better but was still very hard going. A hint that I need to take this week easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment